The Urban Theology Union (https://utusheffield.org.uk/) is entering a new phase in its journey of delivering courses and supported study of relevance to Christians and others who wish to explore the contextual relevance of Jesus’ teaching in urban settings.
We need new volunteer Trustee/Directors to oversee and help shape our work as it develops. In particular we need people to join our Board, who have one or more of the following skill and knowledge sets:
- Small charity finance, including knowledge of bookkeeping software packages, to work with the current Treasurer and the Administrator, with a view to eventually become the Treasurer
- Social media presence and competency (Facebook, website management, Twitter) to take a lead for developing and improving our communication and publicity functions
- Adult education or training background to work with others and take a lead on developing new, non-validated courses in matters of theology, missiology and discipleship that will be relevant to people living and working in socio-economically deprived urban settings
- Governance, oversight and policy development to be a Vice Chair, with a view to possibly becoming Chair
- Have a passion for theological reflection in urban contexts and for passing that on to others
- Live and worship in an urban area and have life or volunteer or paid work-related transferable skills, who may not think of themselves as potential Directors of a charitable company but who would like to develop as Trustee/Board members
We a registered charitable company limited by guarantee. We are a constituent college of Luther King Centre, Manchester, and specialise in radical and contextual theology. We have a relatively diverse Board, but a few people have resigned for personal reasons, so we need to recruit more people to join us.
We meet 5 times a year, on a weekday evening, plus the AGM (currently a Saturday afternoon in November), and all our meetings are now online. Additional time will be needed between the Board meetings for those who take on a specific portfolio. As a learning organisation we will provide mentoring and guidance for people who want to develop their skills.
For more information about UTU please contact Jill Wagg, Administrator, email@example.com or to talk informally about what is involved, contact Erica Dunmow, Chair of Trustees at firstname.lastname@example.org